On Sunday the 17th of October, Snooker & Billiards Ireland held the U-18 National Snooker Championships in Newbridge CYMS in Co. Kildare. The tournament director was International referee Shane Mason and this event was played in knock out format of best of 5 frame throughout. We had a great day’s play of top class junior snooker with some very close matches.
- Aaron Smith beat James O Connell 3-0
- Alex Currid beat Adam Quinn 3-0
- Noel Gleeson beat Lewis Casserley 3-0
- Leone Crowley beat Gavin Ryder 3-0
- Alex Currid beat Aaron Smith 3-2 – Alex raced into a 2 nil lead before Aaron pulled it back to bring the scores level. The deciding frame was a hard fought frame with Alex only winning it on the black.
- Leone Crowley beat Noel Gleeson 3-2 – Another close match. Leone took a 2-1 lead before Noel took it to a decider and Leone took the decider only winning it on the colours.
- Leone Crowley beat Alex Currid 3-2
International Referee Shane Corr refereed the final of the National Under18 Championships between Leone Conway and Alex Currid. Alex took a two frame lead including a black ball finish to the second frame before Leone fought back taking three frames in a row including two frame winning half century breaks.
The presentation took place shortly after the final. Shane Corr, on behalf of SBI, thanked Jim Carrick and the members of CYMS Newbridge for their hospitality and great facilities for the event. He congratulated Alex Currid on an excellent tournament and for being Runner-Up on the day and followed by the Winner of the 2021 U18 National Championships, Leone Conway.