Snooker & Billiards Ireland held the 2023 Irish Amateur Snooker Championships in the SBI HQ Academy of Excellence in Carlow on Saturday the 29th and Sunday 30th of April to find the 2023 Irish Champion. After a fantastic weekend of Snooker, it was Brendan O Donoghue from Nenagh who won his 6th National Amateur Title and third in a row.
In the final Brendan beat Irish No.1 Ross Bulman from Youghal 7 frames to 5 in a brilliant match which was streamed all over the world. The final was refereed by Steven Foster and the marker was Aonghus McAnally.
Brendan had Incredible Break Building, Safety, Winning Breaks and Long Pots in the match to keep the young Youghal man away from the table to claim this record breaking 6th Irish Amateur Snooker Title for the 40yr old Nenagh man.
On winning the title three times in a row, Snooker & Billiards Ireland announced today that will award the perpetual cup to Brendan to keep to celebrate his achievement.
A big well done to Ross Bulman on finishing No.1 on the Irish Amateur Rankings this season for the first time. Great season with winning 2 ranking events plus reaching final of Championship and semi final of European Amateur Championship. SBI wish him good luck in QSchool later this month.
The Final – Best of 13
- Ross Bulman 5 v 7 Brendan O Donoghue – Table 7
The Tournament high break prize went to Brendan O Donoghue with a superb 132 break in the event. Davy Morris had a 127 break, Mark Walsh had 103 break and Ross Bulman had 116, 104, 103 breaks in this years Championship.
The S-Finals – Best of 11
- Ross Bulman 6 v 1 Donal Foran – Table 7
- Brendan O Donoghue 6 v 3 Ryan Cronin – Table 6
Both semi finals were top class with all four players in top form, but Ross got on top of Donal who was having a brilliant run after beating Mark Walsh and Stephen Bateman to win the match 6 frames to 1. The other semi Ryan went ahead early on and led 2-0 but the defending champion fought back to win in style 6-4.
We streamed of Table 7 & 8 on our You Tube Channel and you can watch by clicking on https://www.youtube.com/@snookerbilliardsireland/streams
We also streamed Table 5 & 6 on our SnookerON channel and you can watch by clicking on https://snookeron.com/clubs/?club=95
The Q-Finals – Best of 9
- Ross Bulman 5 v 3 Aaron Tobin – Table 5
- Mark Walsh 3 v 5 Donal Foran – Table 8
- Brendan O Donoghue 5 v 2 Noel Landers – Table 6
- Philip Browne 3 v 5 Ryan Cronin – Table 7
Last 16 round @ 10am – Best of 7
- Ross Bulman 4 v 1 Frank Sarsfield – Table 7 Referee Brendan Devlin
- George O Hara 2 v 4 Aaron Tobin – Table 2 Referee Sandra Bryan
- Mark Walsh 4 v 2 Mark Gleason – Table 3 Referee Maurice Walsh
- Donal Foran 4 v 3 Stephen Bateman – Table 5 Referee Aonghus McAnally
- Brendan O Donoghue 4 v 0 Eric Pei – Table 1 Referee Conor Doyle
- Douglas Hogan 1 v 4 Noel Landers – Table 8 Referee Richie Toal
- Philip Browne 4 v 1 Colvin O Brien – Table 6 Referee Neil Shanahan
- Ivor Fitzpatrick 0 v 4 Ryan Cronin – Table 4 Referee Steven Foster
The SBI AGM will also held on Sunday the 30th of April at 12.30pm – 2.30pm in the SBI HQ in Carlow for our members to attend.
National Amateur Snooker Championships Prize Fund
SBI had €1800 prize fund will be up for grabs for this year’s National Amateur Snooker Championships.
- Winner € 750
- R-Up € 350
- Semi Finalists 4 x € 150
- Q-Finalists 4 x € 75
- High Break € 100
Total Prize Fund € 1800
- Last 16 – Best of 7 – Saturday 29th – 10am
- Q-Final – Best of 9 – Saturday 29th – 2pm
- Semi Final – Best of 11 – Saturday 29th – 6pm
- Final – Best of 13 – Sunday 30th – 10am (5frames) & restart at 3pm
SBI AGM * 12.30 – 2.30pm
- The dress code for the 2023 SBI National Championship was full dress:
- Dark Shoes (no runners)
- Dark one coloured trousers (no jeans)
- One coloured shirt buttoned at the wrist and waistcoat.
- Waistcoats must be worn for all matches.
- National Waistcoats are not permissible
- Bowties are also required for the SBI Championships weekend matches.
More Information email SBI firstname.lastname@example.org