On Saturday 5th of November Snooker & Billiards Ireland (SBI) held the 2nd U-14 National Snooker Ranking Tournament of the season in the SBI HQ in Carlow which was won by 11year old Joe Shannon from Longford.
In the semi finals the Number 1 seed and current National U-14 Champion Max Kennedy from Galway faced Oscar Ellison Gibbons from Dublin while No.2 Joe Shannon from Longford faced Aaron Donnelly from Newbridge in two high quality matches.
In the first Semi final it was Max who beat Oscar 3 frames to one while in the other semi final it was Joe who beat Aaron 3 frames to nil.
International Referee Brendan Devlin was on hand all day to officiate at the event, while our National Coach PJ Nolan was there to watch the players perform and give advice to all the players before and after matches.
- Max Kennedy 3-1 Oscar Ellison Gibbons
- Joe Shannon 3-0 Aaron Donnelly
In the final which was refereed by Brendan Devlin. Joe who got a lead in frame 1 but a blue, pink and black clearance from Max won the opening frame. back came the current U-12 National Champion from Longford to win the next three frames with soilid match-play snooker to win the title.
- Max Kennedy 1 – 3 Joe Shannon
The top of the U-14 rankings after this event is very close and it is going to be an exciting season of U-14 snooker ahead with so many talented young boys.
Finally, SBI would like to thank all the young players and parents for attending this event. The standard of play was excellent and we look forward to seeing you all again at event 3 in Carlow on the 4th of February 2023.
Well done to Joe on his victory today
Info on SBI Junior Season 2022-2023
SBI are planning an exciting season of Junior Snooker on the SBI Junior Tour for the coming season. Players should be aware that all entries are now through the on line system and you have to enter before the closing date.
You can now enter and pay for all the events for the season at the same time by clicking HERE and choosing which events you want to enter.
This SBI Junior Tour is open to all players under 21 years of age of any gender and ability. Events are held in Under 14, Under 16, Under 18 and Under 21 Age Levels. PLEASE NOTE (players must be under the age on the 31st December 2022 to be eligible to play in the events)
REGARDING RANKINGS – IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT PLAYERS ONLY USE ONE EMAIL ADDRESS ON THE SYSTEM AS THE RANKINGS ARE AUTOMATICALY DONE THROUGH THE SYSTEM AND WILL NOT WORK IF YOU USE TWO EMAILS
CONTACT email@example.com if you are having problems to enter or register
Enter Via – On-Line Payment System
Players will have to first pay SBI registration / membership or Renewal their membership and register for the new season. When you register, you will be asked to create a username and password. You will only be allowed to enter an event if log in and use this username and password.
You can reset your own password and there is also a support form on the system for members to complete and I.T. will follow up to resolve any major issues.
The closing date for all SBI events will 1pm on the Thursday before the event. The Draw will be done automatically on the system with match times and displayed on the web site.
Tournament Entry Fees
The cost of entry will be the following:
- Under 21 Events – €15.00
- Under 18 Events – €15.00
- Under 16’s Events – €12.00
- Under 14 Events – €12.00
All players will need to register for the new season. SBI Registration runs from September to September each season.
- Under 21’s – €15.00
- Under 16’s – €10.00
- One Day/Event – €10.00
The increase in registration fee is to cover the increased costs of running the game post-Covid eg costs associated with the upkeep of the SBI HQ in Carlow given the rise in energy costs.
Only SBI members can access the online system and enter to play in SBI tournaments but one-day registration is available at €10.00 if you are not already a SBI members, remember this expires 24hrs after the event.
- All matches are the best of 5 frames
- SBI POLO SHIRTS ARE ALLOWED
- Dark Shoes (no runners)
- Dark one coloured trousers (no jeans)
- One coloured shirt buttoned at the wrist
- Waistcoats must be worn for all matches in National Championships.
- National Waistcoats are not permissible
- Bowties are also required for the SBI Championships for all matches.
Four ranking events are planned in each age group and this is followed with a National Championship in U-14, U-16, U-18 and U-21. SBI will also hold an Under 12 Championship which is sponsored by our National Coach PJ Nolan’s 147academy.
It promises to be another exciting year of junior snooker with so many young talented Junior players looking to qualify for the Celtic Challenge, Home Internationals, World and European Snooker Championships in 2023.
The current National U-12 Champion is Joe Shannon from Longford, U-14 Champion is Max Kennedy from Galway, U-16, U-18 and U-21 Champion is Leone Crowley from Cork who all won the titles in 2022.
DATES & VENUES
- National Championships: – SBI HQ Carlow – 15TH APRIL
- Event 1: U-14 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 4TH SEPTEMBER = WINNER MAX KENNEDY
- Event 2: U-14 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 5TH NOVEMBER = JOE SHANNON
- Event 3: U-14 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 4TH FEBRUARY
- Event 4: U-14 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 25TH FEBRUARY
- National Championships: – SBI HQ Carlow – 13TH MAY
- Event 1: U-16 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 3RD SEPTEMBER – WINNER JACK O BRIEN
- Event 2: U-16 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 3RD DECEMBER
- Event 3: U-16 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 26TH FEBRUARY
- Event 4: U-16 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 1ST APRIL
- National Championships: – SBI HQ Carlow– 14TH MAY
- Event 1: U-18 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 23RD OCTOBER – WINNER JAMES O ‘ CONNELL
- Event 2: U-18 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 19TH NOVEMBER
- Event 3: U-18 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 18TH FEBRUARY
- Event 4: U-18 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 18TH MARCH
- National Championships: – SBI HQ Carlow – 8TH APRIL
- Event 1: U-21 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 6TH NOVEMBER
- Event 2: U-21 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 4TH DECEMBER
- Event 3: U-21 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 5TH FEBRUARY
- Event 4: U-21 TOUR – SBI HQ Carlow – 19TH MARCH
- National Championships: – SBI HQ Carlow – 15TH APRIL