Snooker & Billiards Ireland held an International junior snooker training camp with our National Coach PJ Nolan on Sunday 26th June in SBI HQ from 11am – 4pm. This camp was to prepare our players for the 2022 Celtic Junior Challenge which will be played on Saturday the 2nd of July in Terry Griffiths Matchroom Llanelli South Wales.
Our National Coach held sessions on Break-Building, Safety, Long Potting and players had Technique checks. Mini Match-Play events were held and the day was hailed a big success with so many players impressing on the day. PJ gave a speech to motivate the players in preparing their best in the coming days before we travel on Friday. The players attended this camp in full dress ahead of the event next weekend to get used to playing in their Irish waistcoat.
All the players received a SBI International Training / Practice Manual to help them prepare for the event.
New Era of Players
This year we have 7 players from the 12 making their International debut and PJ said how proud he is to see so much talent coming through in Ireland at present and next weekend will be the start of their development in playing for Ireland.
Latest Training Aids
The latest training aids were used in the camp to enhance the sessions like the Master Doctor, Str8aim G-5 & SA-2, Chris Henry Balls, Academy laser, EBSA Coaching Balls to help to get players on the line of aim and develop a smoother stroke in their delivery.
- Joe Shannon – Longford
- Max Kennedy – Galway
- David Hickey – Youghal
- Aaron Donnelly – Newbridge
- Ronan McGuirk – Meath
- Jack O Brien – Limerick
- David Farrelly – Dublin
- Ben Du Bois – Galway
- Alex Currid -Wexford – TEAM CAPTAIN
- Adam Halnon – Wexford
- Ryan McGuirk – Meath
- James O Connell – Cork
Team Coach will be PJ Nolan for this event.
Format in Wales
Each player will play 4 matches in his own age group. Every frame won will be added to their country total. At the end of play, all frames will be added up to find the 2022 Celtic Challenge Champions.
Information on the weekend
- In the evening of Friday (after your arrival) we are arranging an opening ceremony at 6.00pm. We would like all Players and Officials to be dressed in their Team dress code for the Opening Ceremony, followed by a buffet for all Players and Officials. At 7.00/7.30 we want to run an informal tournament for the Junior players (as a bit of practice) ready for the event on Saturday.
- On the Saturday. Celtic. Transport pick up from the Sessile Oak at 9.30 to take you to the Matchroom SC for photos.
- Tournament to start at 10.00am with session 1.
- Break for lunch at 1.00-200pm. (were a Buffet will be provided for Players and Officials.)
- After session 2 will commence.
- After the tournament is completed at approx. 5.30. A presentation will take place.
- In the evening we have a professional player to take on some of the most successful players of the Celtic for a frame with a current Professional.
Full Details for Travel
- Dates – Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd July
- Venue – Terry Griffiths Matchroom Llanelli South Wales
- Travel- Boat to Pembroke from Rosslare Europort Wexford with Irish Ferries.
- Ferry departs 08:45 Friday morning and 14:45 on Sunday
- Crossing time 4 hours
- Hotel – Sessile Oak hotel Llanelli
- Hotel Cost is £65 for a twin room. Breakfast is £5.00 per adult, £2.50 per child under 12.
- Boat cost as foot passenger group rate is €55 per person.
- Player’s boat and hotel Costs covered by SBI on a twin-sharing basis.
- Players under 18 on the 1st July, must be accompanied by a Parent or Guardian
- All persons traveling must be in Rosslare for 07:45 on Friday 1st July
- Travel from Pembroke to Llanelli and back will be arranged by Welsh association
- More Info: Ger Murray email: email@example.com – Mobile : 085 8782974
GOOD LUCK TEAM IRELAND